Govt plans to open all-women post offices in rural areas
New Delhi: The government is planning to open all-women post offices in rural areas where working women are available in good numbers.
"We want to open such post offices in other parts of the country as well. The Department (of Posts) decides where women are available and doing jobs. If you go in to rural areas, you would not be able to find a (big) number. We will start with urban centres and then slowly move to other areas," Telecom and IT Minister Kapil Sibal told a news agency.
All-women post offices are the first of their kind in the world as they are completely operated and managed by women employees.
Till date, two All Women POs (post offices) have been inaugurated by Sibal in Delhi at Shastri Bhawan and Delhi University.
Secretary (Posts) P Gopinath inaugurated one such branch in Town Hall area of Mumbai and another one in Hyderabad.
The Minister said such initiatives are part of government`s objective to create opportunities for women in the country.
At present, Department of Posts has a plan to set up at least three to four All-Women post offices in all the metros and a minimum of one such PO in Tier-II cities.
"These post offices will be opened up within next six months," Gopinath said.
By setting up All Women POs, the DoP expects there will an increase in footfall of women customers at post offices and it will be able to promote thrift, especially among working women.
There are 1,54,822 post offices in the country. Of these, 1,39,086 are in rural areas and 15,736 are in urban regions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi