Govt plans to open all-women post offices in rural areas
New Delhi: The government is planning to open all-women post offices in rural areas where working women are available in good numbers.
"We want to open such post offices in other parts of the country as well. The Department (of Posts) decides where women are available and doing jobs. If you go in to rural areas, you would not be able to find a (big) number. We will start with urban centres and then slowly move to other areas," Telecom and IT Minister Kapil Sibal told a news agency.
All-women post offices are the first of their kind in the world as they are completely operated and managed by women employees.
Till date, two All Women POs (post offices) have been inaugurated by Sibal in Delhi at Shastri Bhawan and Delhi University.
Secretary (Posts) P Gopinath inaugurated one such branch in Town Hall area of Mumbai and another one in Hyderabad.
The Minister said such initiatives are part of government`s objective to create opportunities for women in the country.
At present, Department of Posts has a plan to set up at least three to four All-Women post offices in all the metros and a minimum of one such PO in Tier-II cities.
"These post offices will be opened up within next six months," Gopinath said.
By setting up All Women POs, the DoP expects there will an increase in footfall of women customers at post offices and it will be able to promote thrift, especially among working women.
There are 1,54,822 post offices in the country. Of these, 1,39,086 are in rural areas and 15,736 are in urban regions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees