Govt to boost presence of minorities in paramilitary forces
New Delhi: The Centre has decided to launch a special drive to ensure adequate representation of minority communities in paramilitary forces.
Besides, the government is also going to strengthen the number of women in security forces.
The move assumes significance as it came after the Home Ministry noticed that the current recruitment process has not been able to reach out to remote areas and vacancies reserved for youth from border areas and Maoist-affected areas have not been filled up.
"Special efforts will be made to increase representation of minorities and women in the forces," a Home Ministry official said.
The decision, the official said, will help as a confidence building measure among minority communities and women once they have adequate representation in the forces which traditionally have been male bastions.
Justice (retd) Rajinder Sachar, who had prepared a report on social, economic and educational condition of the Muslim community in India, said percentage of minorities in police forces was "very low" and there was hardly any inspector from minority communities posted in minority- dominated areas.
"If you have inspector from minority community, it will give confidence to local people," he said.
The Home Ministry held a meeting with Directors General of paramilitary forces last week on revamping the recruitment process for induction of constables and other ranks.
The meeting, chaired by Minister of State for Home Jitendra Singh, has chalked out a road map so that the forces are able to remove these deficiencies in the next recruitment cycle starting in December.
Nearly one lakh posts, including 25,000 in the BSF and 17,000 in the CRPF, are lying vacant in seven paramilitary forces in the country.
Besides, nearly 40,000 paramilitary personnel opted for voluntary retirements and?resignations in the last five years.
"There is a need to give adequate representation to people belonging to minority and backward communities. Similarly, women need to be encouraged to join security forces. This will help in further improving law and order situation in the country," the Home Ministry official said.
He said the Ministry will soon write to chiefs of paramilitary forces and heads of state police to ensure that the minorities and women get their due presence.
There are seven paramilitary forces in the country Central Reserve Police Force, Border Security Force, Central Industrial Security Force, Indo-Tibetan Border Police, Sashastra Seema Bal, National Security Guard and Assam Rifles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'