Govt to seek report following arrest in choppers kickback case
New Delhi: India is likely to seek a report from its embassy in Rome on the ongoing investigation into allegations that kickbacks were paid for securing a deal for supplying 12 helicopters to the IAF in the wake of arrest of an Italian-American man in Switzerland in this regard.
The Defence Ministry is likely to seek a report from the Indian embassy in Rome after reports suggested that a man was arrested in Switzerland on Friday on allegations that he was the intermediary in a bribe to secure the deal, sources said here.
The new developments in the Italian investigation have brought the USD 560 million deal for these 12 choppers signed a couple of years back again under the scanner.
Earlier this year also, the Defence Ministry had sought a report from the embassy in Rome after reports there suggested wrongdoings in the defence deal.
The report was not clear about the status of investigations there and the embassy was asked to keep an eye on the progress in the Italian investigation in this regard.
Reports suggested that the probe had also targeted Finmeccanica`s Italian Chairman and CEO Giuseppe Orsi.
It also suggested that in April, Italian prosecutors went to Switzerland to collect evidence and verify money flows through Swiss accounts.
The investigation was reportedly triggered by allegations of an ex-Finmeccanica employee, himself under investigation.
India has signed the deal with Agusta Westland to procure triple-engine AW-101 choppers for ferrying VVIPs and they would be replacing the Russian-origin Mi-8 helicopters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday