Haren Pandya murder: HC acquits all accused
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court Monday acquitted 12 people of murder in the killing of former minister Haren Pandya, but retained other charges, including criminal conspiracy.
The 12 were convicted by a lower court of killing the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader.
After an appeal by the accused, a division bench of Justice D.H. Waghela and Justice J.C. Upadhayaya had, after a month-long hearing, reserved its judgement Aug 12.
The high court retained all the other charges, including those under Prevention of Terrorism Act (POTA), Indian Penal Code`s (IPC) section 307 (attempt to murder) and
section 120-B (criminal conspiracy).
Former minister of state for home and senior BJP leader Haren Pandya was shot dead on the morning of March 26, 2003.
The case had acquired political overtones after his family kept claiming that it was a political murder. The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) which investigated the case had arrested 15 people out of the 19 named as accused.
A designated POTA court had convicted 12 people June 25, 2007, with nine of them being given life term.
The CBI investigation of the case has come under criticism by the division bench in its judgement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price