Haryana floods: 52 stranded villagers rescued
Yamunanagar: Fifty-two people, including 15 children, stranded on a tract of land in Haryana`s Yamunanagar district due to floods triggered by heavy rains, were rescued on Monday.
Additional Chief Secretary (Revenue and Disaster Management) Krishna Mohan said in Chandigarh that the villagers were rescued by the National Disaster Management Authority and the Army personnel this morning with help from the civil administration.
The stranded villagers were rescued using boats. Heavy overnight rains and rising water level in the Yamuna river had hampered rescue operation earlier.
The rains have led to an alarming increase in the water level of Yamuna, even as over 7 lakh cusecs water was flowing through the Hathni Kund barrage, prompting authorities to sound a high alert in the neighbouring districts of Karnal, Panipat and Sonipat.
Mohan said the state government had immediately taken steps to rescue the 52 residents of village Lapra, who were stranded since Sunday morning. The villagers, who used to cultivate musk melons and water melons on that piece of land, were trapped as the water level of river Yamuna raised sharply. The river was flooded following torrential rains in catchment areas, the Additional Chief Secretary said.
The state government had also sought the services of the Indian Air Force to rescue the trapped villagers, but in view of the bad weather, they could not operate last night.
Official sources said that several low-lying villages in the district were flooded after the Yamuna river received heavy rainfall in its catchment areas.
Irrigation authorities had opened the gates at the Hathnikund barrage releasing additional water into the Yamuna river, whose water had entered agricultural fields in a number of villages in the Bilaspur segment.
While the southwest monsoon entered Haryana and neighbouring Punjab and Chandigarh yesterday, heavy pre-monsoon showers have been lashing the region for the past 4-5 days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test