High lifestyle driving girls to sex trade: SC
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday said even
highly-educated girls from very good families are stepping
into sex trade "driven with desire of high lifestyle" and
asked the government to spell out its rehabilitation programme
for sex workers.
"We find girls from very good families even at the
university level education entering the profession driven with
desire of high lifestyle and going to the malls every second
day. If they join it (trade) voluntarily, what do you have for
them"the apex court said.
A bench of justices Altamas Kabir and Gyan Sudha Mishra
asked the question to advocate Pradeep Ghosh, earlier
appointed along with another counsel Jayant Bhushan, to head a
special panel to look into the rehabilitation and other
measures for sex workers in the country.
The apex court directed Additional Solicitor General P P
Malhotra to ensure that within three weeks, a suitable
accommodation was provided in the Law Commission office for
the committee to carry out its tasks.
The bench, during the hearing, also said it would like
to regularly monitor the rehabilitation measures by the Centre
and states so that the whole exercise does not become an "eye
"We regularly have conferences and seminars on these
issues. But the matter ends there. There are no concrete
measures. We want to make sure that something is being done.
It must satisfy our conscience. It should not be a mere
eyewash," the bench said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened