Hizbul Mujahideen claims responsibility for Srinagar attack
Srinagar: Pro-Pakistan Hizbul Mujahideen has claimed responsibility for fidayeen attack on CRPF jawans in Srinagar, as per news reports on Wednesday.
A spokesman of the Hizb called a local news agency to claim responsibility for the attack.
The outfit would carry out similar attacks in future also, the Hizb spokesman said in a telephonic call to the news agency
Some militants stormed a CRPF camp adjoining a school in Bemina area of Srinagar earlier today killing five jawans and injuring at least seven others.
According to reports, militants sneaked inside a public school and opened indiscriminate firing on civilians, including school children who were playing cricket, and the security forces.
Two militants were shot dead by the security forces in the ensuing firing. Some civilians also sustained severe injuries in the incident.
The security forces cordoned off the entire area to avoid any further casualty.
Senior security officials confirmed the killing of two militants in the cross firing.
"Five jawans have been martyred and seven have been injured," IGP (Kashmir) Abdul Gani Mir told reporters at the spot. Four to five CRPF jawans were among the injured, he said.
"Two fidayeen (suicide militants) were neutralized by the security forces," Mir said.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof