Hostage sailors` kin protest in Delhi
New Delhi: Aggrieved family members of the 17 Indian sailors held hostage by Somali pirates on board MT Royal Grace today staged a protest here demanding the immediate intervention of government for their safe release.
The family members, most of whom had protested last December too and had subsequently met External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid, bemoaned over no headway in the case.
MT Royal Grace, the UAE-owned chemical tanker was hijacked, early last year with 17 Indian sailor on board.
"Though we have not met him (Shipping Minister G K Vasan) we have been told by officials here that he was looking into the matter. But we are losing our hope here as no one has met us so far," said Mundresh, sister of 25-year-old Deck Cadet Saurav, from Meerut.
"We came last December too but the gangrape incident overshadowed our cause.
We had then met Khurshid and he had assured us of their safe release. But, nothing happened. How long will I keep lying to my grandson about my son," said a sobbing Mehtab Jehan from Allahabad, mother of 27-year-old Shahid Babu, a cook on board the ship.
"My brother Bansi Lal Mehra (25) is an engineer on board for the last few years but most of those held hostage I believe had just joined the ship," Kanhaiya Lal Mehra from Itarsi said.
Lok Das Sahu from Chhatisgarh is also camping in front of the ministry`s office for his son Pritam Kumar (25).
"From state governments to central one, everyone just wants to give us compensation. They have asked us take a 2.5 lakh cheque and go home. Are our children`s lives just a few lakhs worth? We`ll not budge from here and would sit on a hunger-strike if our voices are not heard," said tearful Mehtab and Mundresh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India