I am not ‘VBS’: Virbhadra Singh
New Delhi: Dismissing allegations that he had received money from a private steel company, former Union Minister Virbhadra Singh on Saturday threatened legal action against all the people behind the "motivated campaign".
He dubbed the graft allegations as a "cheap political stunt" and said he was ready to face "any inquiry" by "any agency" in this regard.
"This is totally false, malicious and motivated and I strongly deny this. Furthermore I am willing to face any inquiry in this regard by any agency," Singh said.
He claimed that the issue was being raked up in the media by his detractors to influence the Himachal Pradesh Assembly Elections.
"It is a cheap political stunt and nothing more," said Singh, a five-time chief minister of Himachal Pradesh.
Singh`s statement comes in the wake of reports in a section of the media claiming that he and several others received payoffs from ISPAT Industries.
"..I challenge anyone to prove that any undue favour was accorded to ISPAT Industries, this company was not favoured by the Steel Ministry in any way, during my tenure," said Singh, who was the Union Minister for Steel between May 2009 and January 2011.
Contesting media reports, which claimed that payments were made to one `VBS`, Singh said, "First and foremost I do not write my initials as VBS but as VS."
"Once the polls are over I will take legal action against all the people who are behind this false, motivated and negative campaign against me," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know