IAF to induct first killer drones
New Delhi: The Indian Air Force is planning to induct its first self-destructing combat drones from Israel by next year for enhancing its firepower.
The Israeli-made Harop unmanned combat air vehicle (UCAV) will give IAF the capability of hitting high value targets such as enemy missile and radar sites without sending its manned fighter aircraft.
"The UCAV are expected to join us by next year enhancing our firepower in both conventional and low intensity conflict," a senior IAF official told PTI here.
Harop will be IAF`s first combat UAV for offensive strikes, though it already possesses a fleet of Searcher and Heron UAVs to perform surveillance and reconnaissance roles.
Unlike the Predator drones being used by the US against the Taliban in Afghanistan and Pakistan that can fire missiles and return after a mission, the Harop is self-destructing, making them a more expensive option.
Developed by the Israel Aerospace Industries, the Harop UCAVs were bought by India two years ago under a deal expected to be worth over Rs 500 crore.
The UCAV cannot only hit enemy radars by locking on to their radio emissions, but also has an electro-optical sensor that allows the remote operator to select static or moving targets in a battlefield.
Harop, with a 23-kg warhead, is 2.5 metre long with a 3-metre wingspan and has a six-hour endurance.
The DRDO is also working on some projects to develop indigenous combat UAVs but they are at an advanced stage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation