IITs divided over common entrance examination?
New Delhi: In what may give engineering aspirants anxious moments, the IITs seem to be divided over Centre’s ‘one-nation one test’ proposal for central engineering institutions and it is unlikely that a consensus will emerge soon in the near future.
As per a TV channel, IIT-Kharagpur director has come out in support of the common entrance test for engineering students. He said that they were with HRD Minister Kapil Sibal on the issue and had no objections with the move to hold common entrance test for IITs, NIITs, and IITs. IIT Guwahati, IIT Madras and IIT Roorkie have also decided to stand by Sibal on holding common entrance exam, as per reports.
This stand is contrary to the one taken by IIT-Kanpur and IIT-Delhi. IIT-Kanpur has rejected the Centre`s `one-nation one-test` proposal and decided to conduct its own entrance exam from next year. IIT-Delhi Alumni Association is pushing IIT-Delhi to follow the suit.
A decision is expected to be taken next week when the Senate of IIT-Delhi meet here next week.
"In all likelihood, IIT-Delhi Senate seems to be geared up to follow the suit of IIT-Kanpur Senate," IIT Delhi alumni president Somnath Bharti said.
As per reports IIT-Delhi is to suggest changes in the JEE exams.
In its yesterday`s meeting, the senate of IIT-Kanpur had said the IIT Council`s recent proposal on admissions is "academically and methodically unsound".
The senate, while deciding to go it alone, had also said the Centre`s `one-nation one-test` proposal was in "violation of the Institutes of Technology Act (1961) and IIT Kanpur Ordinances (Ordinance 3.2 (Admissions)".
HRD Minister Kapil Sibal on May 28 had announced that from 2013, aspiring candidates for IITs and other central institutes like NITs and IIITs will have to sit under a new format of common entrance test, which will also take plus two board results into consideration.
Sibal had claimed it was approved without dissent at the IIT Council meeting and had the backing of the senate’s of four of the seven Indian Institutes of Technology.
"The council consists of the IITs, the IIITs and the NITs. There was not a single dissent. It was unanimously adopted. Therefore, I went forward," the minister had said.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org