Income disparity leads to Maoist movement: Rajnath
Patna: The growing income disparity among people was the main reason behind the surge in Maoist movement which has emerged as a grave threat to the internal security of the country, senior BJP leader Rajnath Singh said on Monday.
Stating this, Singh asked the Centre to review its economic policies to bridge the income gap while addressing a party programme here to pay tribute to the Sepoy Mutiny leader Veer Kunwar Singh.
Wrong policies of the Congress led UPA government had created various crises in the country on all fronts -- economy, internal security or diplomacy, he alleged.
The former UP chief minister alleged that mishandling of internal security had emboldened the Maoists to kidnap a district collector in Chhattisgarh.
The Indian polity was passing through a testing time with the credibility of the entire political class coming under scrutiny from the civil society of late, he said.
The BJP leader asked politicians to introspect the reasons behind their stock going down among the people, and take remedial steps to come up to public expectations.
"The least a politician can do is to bridge the gap between what he says and what he does to regain the trust of the people," Singh advised.
Politicians should not be guided by the sole aim of attaining political power, but to shape the future of the country in the right direction, he said.
Paying tribute to Veer Kunwar Singh, the BJP leader demanded that the Sepoy Mutiny leader`s life sketch be included in NCERT text books and a museum be built on the first war of independence in 1857.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!