India can’t scrap the chopper deal: AugustaWestland
New Delhi: AugustaWestland, the Anglo-Italian firm, which is under the scanner for 3600-cr VVIP choppers deal, has responded to the bribery allegations being levelled against it, and said that India can’t scrap the deal as the matter is still being investigated by the authorities in Italy.
Replying to a showcause notice issued by the Indian Defence Ministry on why the choppers deal shouldn’t be revoked in light of the bribery charges, the Italian firm had issued a letter duly signed by its Managing Director Raymond Edwards, which enlists the firm’s justifications over the chopper deal.
The letter that has been accessed by a leading TV news channel says that India cannot revoke a deal based on mere media reports as Italian investigations are at a "pre-trial phase" and that charges have not been "tested in court."
Denying any claims of wrongdoings, the firm has stressed in the letter that the deal was signed in a transparent manner.
The firm says that it bagged the contract following a comprehensive technical and flight evaluation of competing types performed by the IAF in accordance with the Defence Procurement Procedures.
The Indian government has already contacted the Italian authorities over the charges that huge kickbacks were paid by the Italian defence firm and is reportedly mulling over cancellation of the deal.
It has been alleged that that the firm AW paid about nearly 350 crores as kickbacks to Indian officials, including former Indian Air Force Chief SP Tyagi.
Indian Defense Ministry will take a decision on deal cancellation after reviewing the reply by AgustaWestland.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark