India can’t scrap the chopper deal: AugustaWestland
New Delhi: AugustaWestland, the Anglo-Italian firm, which is under the scanner for 3600-cr VVIP choppers deal, has responded to the bribery allegations being levelled against it, and said that India can’t scrap the deal as the matter is still being investigated by the authorities in Italy.
Replying to a showcause notice issued by the Indian Defence Ministry on why the choppers deal shouldn’t be revoked in light of the bribery charges, the Italian firm had issued a letter duly signed by its Managing Director Raymond Edwards, which enlists the firm’s justifications over the chopper deal.
The letter that has been accessed by a leading TV news channel says that India cannot revoke a deal based on mere media reports as Italian investigations are at a "pre-trial phase" and that charges have not been "tested in court."
Denying any claims of wrongdoings, the firm has stressed in the letter that the deal was signed in a transparent manner.
The firm says that it bagged the contract following a comprehensive technical and flight evaluation of competing types performed by the IAF in accordance with the Defence Procurement Procedures.
The Indian government has already contacted the Italian authorities over the charges that huge kickbacks were paid by the Italian defence firm and is reportedly mulling over cancellation of the deal.
It has been alleged that that the firm AW paid about nearly 350 crores as kickbacks to Indian officials, including former Indian Air Force Chief SP Tyagi.
Indian Defense Ministry will take a decision on deal cancellation after reviewing the reply by AgustaWestland.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results LIVE: BJP registers emphatic win; PM Narendra Modi says it's a great start to 2017
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17