India clears projects worth USD 100 mn in Afghanistan
New Delhi: India Thursday approved small-scale projects worth 100 million dollars for implementation in strife-torn Afghanistan.
The Union Cabinet, at a meeting chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, approved the third phase of the Small Development Projects (SDP) in Afghanistan.
The outlay for the third Phase of the Small Developmental Projects is 100 million dollars or approximately Rs 540 crore, Finance Minister P Chidambaram told reporters here.
The Cabinet decision comes ahead of the visit of Afghan President Hamid Karzai here next week.
The SDP directly impact local communities and support social-economic development and facilitate community life through creation of infrastructure in various sectors including education, health, agriculture, Chidambaram said.
"Local communities of Afghanistan would directly benefit from the Small Development Projects which will cover all 34 provinces of Afghanistan," he said.
The Small Development Projects were earlier implemented in two phases--the first in July 2006 comprising 50 projects worth USD 11,216,179; and the second in June 2008 comprising 51 projects worth USD 8,579,537.
Most of the projects in the two phases have been completed, Chidambaram said.
Karzai, who will be in India from November 9-12, will hold wide-ranging talks with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on regional security situation and safety of Indian nationals and Indian projects on November 12 here.
Having committed a USD 2.3 billion aid programme, India is one of the largest donors to Afghanistan, investing in the economy, humanitarian aid, education, development, construction and electrical projects.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation