India clears projects worth USD 100 mn in Afghanistan
New Delhi: India Thursday approved small-scale projects worth 100 million dollars for implementation in strife-torn Afghanistan.
The Union Cabinet, at a meeting chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, approved the third phase of the Small Development Projects (SDP) in Afghanistan.
The outlay for the third Phase of the Small Developmental Projects is 100 million dollars or approximately Rs 540 crore, Finance Minister P Chidambaram told reporters here.
The Cabinet decision comes ahead of the visit of Afghan President Hamid Karzai here next week.
The SDP directly impact local communities and support social-economic development and facilitate community life through creation of infrastructure in various sectors including education, health, agriculture, Chidambaram said.
"Local communities of Afghanistan would directly benefit from the Small Development Projects which will cover all 34 provinces of Afghanistan," he said.
The Small Development Projects were earlier implemented in two phases--the first in July 2006 comprising 50 projects worth USD 11,216,179; and the second in June 2008 comprising 51 projects worth USD 8,579,537.
Most of the projects in the two phases have been completed, Chidambaram said.
Karzai, who will be in India from November 9-12, will hold wide-ranging talks with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on regional security situation and safety of Indian nationals and Indian projects on November 12 here.
Having committed a USD 2.3 billion aid programme, India is one of the largest donors to Afghanistan, investing in the economy, humanitarian aid, education, development, construction and electrical projects.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket explodes minutes after Florida launch
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional