India in touch with Togo officials for early release of sailor
New Delhi: Indian officials from Accra on Saturday met the jailed Indian sailor whose family eagerly awaits his return for performing the last rites of his 11-month son who died earlier this week even as they were in touch with Togo authorities to secure his early release on "compassionate ground".
The officials, including one from the Mission in Accra, met Capt Sunil James in the prison, sources said, adding they were making all efforts to secure the release and will continue to pursue the matter with Togo authorities.
Indian Mission in Accra was overseeing the developments in the case, spokesperson in the Ministry of External Affairs had said yesterday.
Captain Sunil James is under arrest in the west African country Togo since July on the charge of aiding pirates who had attacked and looted his Marshall Islands-flagged MT Ocean Centurion on July 16.
The spokesperson also said the mission and India`s Honorary Consul in Lome have been in touch with Togo authorities including the Minister of Justice since August 2, when the matter came to their attention.
According to reports, the sailor`s 31-year-old wife Aditi and others in the family want James to conduct the last rites of his son whose body is lying in a hospital morgue since the toddler`s death from septicaemia on December 2.
It was reported that the infant, Vivaan, underwent an operation for intestinal gangrene but doctors could not save him as the infection had spread to his bloodstream.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi