India invited for ASEAN-AIPA General Assembly
New Delhi: Reflecting its increasing role, India has been invited to participate as observer at the 33rd General Assembly of ASEAN Inter-Parliamentary Assembly (AIPA) next month in Lombok, Indonesia.
The invitation was conveyed by the President of AIPA and Speaker of the House of Representatives of the Republic of Indonesia Marzuki Alie during the first visit of AIPA delegation here. The delegation was here on a four-day visit ending on Wednesday.
During the various call-ons, which included a meeting with President Pranab Mukherjee, the Lok Sabha Speaker and the Minister of State in the Ministry of External Affairs yesterday, the AIPA delegation took appreciative note of the ground covered by the ASEAN-India Dialogue Partnership and the important role that it has in the continuing stability and development of the region and to global economic growth and prosperity.
Alie conveyed an invitation for India to participate as observer at the 33rd General Assembly of AIPA from September 16-22, 2012 in Lombok, Indonesia, MEA said.
President of AIPA also took note of the economic potential of ASEAN and India, which together constitute a market of over 1.8 billion people, while supporting the early conclusion of the ASEAN-India FTA on Services and Investment.
"He also requested India`s support to the South East Asia Nuclear Weapons-Free Zone and for a Drug-Free ASEAN by 2015.
The AIPA delegation also conveyed that ASEAN countries were looking forward to the Commemorative Summit in New Delhi in December 2012, the ministry said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state