India invited for ASEAN-AIPA General Assembly
New Delhi: Reflecting its increasing role, India has been invited to participate as observer at the 33rd General Assembly of ASEAN Inter-Parliamentary Assembly (AIPA) next month in Lombok, Indonesia.
The invitation was conveyed by the President of AIPA and Speaker of the House of Representatives of the Republic of Indonesia Marzuki Alie during the first visit of AIPA delegation here. The delegation was here on a four-day visit ending on Wednesday.
During the various call-ons, which included a meeting with President Pranab Mukherjee, the Lok Sabha Speaker and the Minister of State in the Ministry of External Affairs yesterday, the AIPA delegation took appreciative note of the ground covered by the ASEAN-India Dialogue Partnership and the important role that it has in the continuing stability and development of the region and to global economic growth and prosperity.
Alie conveyed an invitation for India to participate as observer at the 33rd General Assembly of AIPA from September 16-22, 2012 in Lombok, Indonesia, MEA said.
President of AIPA also took note of the economic potential of ASEAN and India, which together constitute a market of over 1.8 billion people, while supporting the early conclusion of the ASEAN-India FTA on Services and Investment.
"He also requested India`s support to the South East Asia Nuclear Weapons-Free Zone and for a Drug-Free ASEAN by 2015.
The AIPA delegation also conveyed that ASEAN countries were looking forward to the Commemorative Summit in New Delhi in December 2012, the ministry said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song