India needs Pranab as president: Sharad Yadav
New Delhi: Janata Dal-United (JD-U) chief Sharad Yadav on Sunday said the nation needed a president like Pranab Mukherjee, particularly keeping in mind the 2014 general elections.
Stating that the situation post 2014 polls can be "difficult", Sharad Yadav said only a person like Mukherjee could be in a position to handle it. "He knows the whole country, a non-political person cannot know.
"Post 2014 situation can be difficult, there should be a person who can handle the situation."
No single political party has been able to get a clear majority in Lok Sabha elections since 1989.
JD-U, a key ally of BJP-led National Democratic Alliance, broke ranks to vote for Mukherjee, the ruling UPA candidate.
BJP, along with ally Akali Dal, and AIADMK and Biju Janata Dal backed PA Sangma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...