India needs Pranab as president: Sharad Yadav
New Delhi: Janata Dal-United (JD-U) chief Sharad Yadav on Sunday said the nation needed a president like Pranab Mukherjee, particularly keeping in mind the 2014 general elections.
Stating that the situation post 2014 polls can be "difficult", Sharad Yadav said only a person like Mukherjee could be in a position to handle it. "He knows the whole country, a non-political person cannot know.
"Post 2014 situation can be difficult, there should be a person who can handle the situation."
No single political party has been able to get a clear majority in Lok Sabha elections since 1989.
JD-U, a key ally of BJP-led National Democratic Alliance, broke ranks to vote for Mukherjee, the ruling UPA candidate.
BJP, along with ally Akali Dal, and AIADMK and Biju Janata Dal backed PA Sangma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!