India needs Pranab as president: Sharad Yadav
New Delhi: Janata Dal-United (JD-U) chief Sharad Yadav on Sunday said the nation needed a president like Pranab Mukherjee, particularly keeping in mind the 2014 general elections.
Stating that the situation post 2014 polls can be "difficult", Sharad Yadav said only a person like Mukherjee could be in a position to handle it. "He knows the whole country, a non-political person cannot know.
"Post 2014 situation can be difficult, there should be a person who can handle the situation."
No single political party has been able to get a clear majority in Lok Sabha elections since 1989.
JD-U, a key ally of BJP-led National Democratic Alliance, broke ranks to vote for Mukherjee, the ruling UPA candidate.
BJP, along with ally Akali Dal, and AIADMK and Biju Janata Dal backed PA Sangma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional