India needs Pranab as president: Sharad Yadav
New Delhi: Janata Dal-United (JD-U) chief Sharad Yadav on Sunday said the nation needed a president like Pranab Mukherjee, particularly keeping in mind the 2014 general elections.
Stating that the situation post 2014 polls can be "difficult", Sharad Yadav said only a person like Mukherjee could be in a position to handle it. "He knows the whole country, a non-political person cannot know.
"Post 2014 situation can be difficult, there should be a person who can handle the situation."
No single political party has been able to get a clear majority in Lok Sabha elections since 1989.
JD-U, a key ally of BJP-led National Democratic Alliance, broke ranks to vote for Mukherjee, the ruling UPA candidate.
BJP, along with ally Akali Dal, and AIADMK and Biju Janata Dal backed PA Sangma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Seven hospitalized in California stabbing at neo-Nazi rally
- I respect martyrdom but you're trained to kill enemy, not to die - Manohar Parrikar told jawans
- Pampore attack: Did CRPF ignore specific intelligence input from Jammu and Kashmir Police?
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here