India needs Pranab as president: Sharad Yadav
New Delhi: Janata Dal-United (JD-U) chief Sharad Yadav on Sunday said the nation needed a president like Pranab Mukherjee, particularly keeping in mind the 2014 general elections.
Stating that the situation post 2014 polls can be "difficult", Sharad Yadav said only a person like Mukherjee could be in a position to handle it. "He knows the whole country, a non-political person cannot know.
"Post 2014 situation can be difficult, there should be a person who can handle the situation."
No single political party has been able to get a clear majority in Lok Sabha elections since 1989.
JD-U, a key ally of BJP-led National Democratic Alliance, broke ranks to vote for Mukherjee, the ruling UPA candidate.
BJP, along with ally Akali Dal, and AIADMK and Biju Janata Dal backed PA Sangma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened