`India not responsible for terrorism in Sri Lanka`
Chennai: Minister of State in the Prime Minister`s Office V Narayanasamy on Friday termed Sri Lanka Defence Secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa`s claim that India was responsible for creating terrorism in his country as unacceptable.
Interacting with media at Chennai Airport, Narayanasamy retorted: "Sri Lanka is responsible for terrorism, as Tamils took to terrorism because their rights were denied."
Narayanasamy further said that India did not support any kind of terrorist activities anywhere in the world.
Earlier, Rajapaksa was quoted, as saying that India could never absolve itself of the responsibility for creating terrorism in his country.
In India`s defence, Narayanasamy said: “As far as India is concerned (late Prime Ministers) Indira and Rajiv Gandhi supported Tamils. We even lost Rajiv Gandhi (assassinated by members of LTTE), who sent Indian Peace Keeping Force to help Tamils. Rajapaksa’s statement is unacceptable. Sri Lanka is responsible for terrorism as Tamils took to terrorism because their rights were denied.”
India, he said, has a duty to protect Tamils wherever they are.
New Delhi, the minister said had also pressed for independent and credible investigation into alleged war crimes by Sri Lankan army at the UNHRC.
Narayanasamy also denied the Centre was not acting on attacks on fishermen from Tamil Nadu by Sri Lankan Navy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Maruti Suzuki continues to rule PV segment with 7 models in top 10 list
- Monsanto lobbies with US lawmakers on Indian regulatory issues
- Another on brink of extinction: Northern spotted owl added to endangered species list
- This teen daughter of slain Indian Army captain will leave all Muslim-haters red faced – WATCH
- India's 1-run loss to West Indies: Twitter world, especially KING VIRU go crazy