India offers Myanmar support in strengthening parliamentary practices
New Delhi: India has offered to Myanmar support in strengthening parliamentary practices, conventions and procedures as it makes transition to democracy.
The offer was made by Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar when she met her Myanmar counterpart Thura U Shwe Mann in Nay Pyi Taw.
Kumar, on a visit to Myanmar, referred to the special relationship between the two countries.
In the area of Parliamentary affairs, she appreciated the onerous challenge that the Speaker and the Parliament faced in setting out for the first time, practices, conventions and procedures, a Lok Sabha secretariat release said.
Kumar offered to provide support for enabling sharing of experience based on six decades of practice of Indian Parliamentary democracy.
The Speaker of Myanmar`s Lower House recalled his visit to India in December 2011 and elaborated on the various initiatives taken by the Myanmar Parliament including the setting up of their National Racist Affairs and Internal Peace Committee.
He noted that while democratic reform was underway, what was also needed was development which required economic and investment cooperation, the release said.
He appreciated the assistance given by India and requested its continuation, the release said.
The Indian delegation also met U Khin Aung Myint, the speaker of the Upper House, and discussed matters of bilateral and mutual interest including cooperation at Parliament level.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3