India, Pak trade fire along LoC in Poonch overnight
Jammu: India and Pakistan traded fired along Line of Control (LoC) in Poonch district of Jammu and Kashmir overnight triggering tension after a movement of a group of suspected infiltrators towards the borderline was foiled.
The firing involving small arms and mortars continued intermittently overnight till 0200 hours today in Krishnagati (KG) sub-sector in Poonch district after Indian troops detected the movement of a group of "suspected persons" near LoC opposite KG forward belt.
"Movement of 6 to 7 persons was detected close to LoC opposite Krishnagati sub-sector in Poonch sector around 2145 hours yesterday," Defence Spokesman Col R K Palta said.
Troops, guarding the borderline with Pakistan, opened fire on them, he said, adding after that heavy fire was exchanged between two sides.
After about half-an-hour of heavy exchanges, the group of "suspected persons" disappeared from the scene, Palta said maintaining that exchange of fire reduced thereafter but it went on till early this morning.
Sources said it is suspected that either a group of militants or a Border Action Team (BAT) of Pakistan could have been undertaking movement close to LoC opposite Krishnagati sub-sector.
The fresh exchange of fire in the sector has escalated
tension, which came after a lull of 48 hours.
Pakistani troops had violated the ceasefire by firing mortars and small arms on Indian posts along LoC in Krishnagati sector from 5 PM to 9.30 PM on Thursday, the spokesman said.
Indian troops had effectively retaliated, he said, adding there was no casuality or injury to anyone in the Pakistani firing.
Pakistani troops had fired on nine Indian posts--Chatri, Atma, Helmet, Prakash, Chatyal, Khera-I, Khera-II, Roshni and Gunhill--from its Kanal, Barmoch, Jungle-1, Jungle-2, Dhamas, Prench, New Post, Daruchiymia, Teer, LP-1, LP-2 and LP-3 posts.
Thursday`s firing was the third ceasefire violation by Pakistan troops along Poonch sector after the barbaric killing of two jawans, he said.
"The border with Pakistan is tense but the situation is under control along the Line of Control in Jammu and Kashmir. The Army is maintaining utmost vigilance along the border with Pakistan," the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared