India plans treaty with Oman, Azerbaijan on criminal matters
New Delhi: India plans to sign a mutual cooperation treaty with Oman and Azerbaijan among other countries to pursue criminal investigation and confiscation of money or property involved therein.
"India plans to sign Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty (MLAT) in criminal matters with Israel, Oman, Azerbaijan and Nepal," the Ministry of Home Affairs said in reply to an RTI query.
The MLAT facilitates mutual assistance in prevention, investigation and prosecution of crime, service of summons and other judicial documents, execution of warrants and other judicial commissions and tracing, restraint, forfeiture and confiscation of proceeds and instruments of crimes.
At present, India has the treaty in criminal matters with 32 countries including Iran, Kuwait, Mauritius, Switzerland, Mexico, Thailand, Vietnam and Kazakhstan.
Besides, there is a mutual legal assistance treaty with Australia, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Canada, Egypt, France, Mongolia, Myanmar, Russia, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Turkey, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America and Uzbekistan.
"MLAT in criminal matters has also been signed by India with Kyrgyz Republic, Hong Kong, Indonesia and Malaysia. However, the treaties with the aforesaid countries would enter into force only after the process of exchange of instruments of ratification or issue of ratification notification of the treaty is completed by these countries," the reply added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM
- Uttarakhand board Class 12th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- 'Russia killed 28,000 militants in Syria, third of all IS forces'