India plans treaty with Oman, Azerbaijan on criminal matters
New Delhi: India plans to sign a mutual cooperation treaty with Oman and Azerbaijan among other countries to pursue criminal investigation and confiscation of money or property involved therein.
"India plans to sign Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty (MLAT) in criminal matters with Israel, Oman, Azerbaijan and Nepal," the Ministry of Home Affairs said in reply to an RTI query.
The MLAT facilitates mutual assistance in prevention, investigation and prosecution of crime, service of summons and other judicial documents, execution of warrants and other judicial commissions and tracing, restraint, forfeiture and confiscation of proceeds and instruments of crimes.
At present, India has the treaty in criminal matters with 32 countries including Iran, Kuwait, Mauritius, Switzerland, Mexico, Thailand, Vietnam and Kazakhstan.
Besides, there is a mutual legal assistance treaty with Australia, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Canada, Egypt, France, Mongolia, Myanmar, Russia, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Turkey, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America and Uzbekistan.
"MLAT in criminal matters has also been signed by India with Kyrgyz Republic, Hong Kong, Indonesia and Malaysia. However, the treaties with the aforesaid countries would enter into force only after the process of exchange of instruments of ratification or issue of ratification notification of the treaty is completed by these countries," the reply added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Full List: 10 wealthiest countries in the world; India at 7th place
- Father arrested for sexually abusing 2 minor girls
- New global migration map may help fight malaria
- 7th CPC: Committee of Secretaries on Allowances to meet on September 1; invites employees' unions for talks
- Nationalism is BJP's identity, our sole aim is nation-building: PM Modi