India reminds Pak of problems faced by Hindus
New Delhi: Voicing concern over problems faced by minority Hindus in Pakistan, India today reminded Islamabad of its responsibility to discharge its Constitutional obligations towards its citizens.
"It is the responsibility of the Government of Pakistan to discharge its constitutional obligations towards its citizens, including those from the minority community," External Affairs Minister S M Krishna said in the Lok Sabha.
He was responding to the issue of treatment of minorities in Pakistan raised by BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi last week.
Krishna said India had taken up "appropriately" with the Pakistani authorities the issue of abduction, forceful marriage and conversion to Islam of three Hindu girls in Sindh province of Pakistan.
"The Government of Pakistan stated that it was fully cognisant of the situation and looked after the welfare of all its citizens, particularly the minority community," he said.
Krishna also referred to press release issued by the Government of Pakistan stating that the Pakistan President had taken serious note of the reports of kidnapping of a Hindu girl from Mirpur Mathelo in Sindh and allegedly being forced by some influential people of the area to convert.
The release had said the Pakistan President had called for a report from the provincial government.
"The President also called for transparent and expeditious investigations in the matter and to take action in accordance with the law regardless of the influence and status of anyone involved in criminal activity," Krishna said quoting the Pakistan government release.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'