India, Russia support Afghan peace process
Moscow: India and Russia on Friday extended
their support to Afghanistan in its quest to establish a
democratic state free from terrorism, outside interference, as
they backed Kabul`s overtures for dialogue with "armed
An Indo-Russian joint statement issued after Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh`s talks with Russian leadership said,
"Both the countries expressed concern over escalation of
extremist activity throughout the territory of the country,
including previously relatively peaceful provinces, drug
production growth, and unresolved socio-economic problems."
"The sides expressed their readiness to continue
promoting the establishment of Afghanistan as a peaceful,
democratic and independent state, free from terrorism, outside
interference and drug-related crimes, with a sustainable
economy," it said.
Supporting the transfer of responsibility for the
situation in the country to the National Security Forces, the
sides urge to intensify efforts to build up their capacity.
The sides believe that the international military
presence in Afghanistan should be linked to the security
situation on the ground. Afghanistan has stepped up efforts to
engage with Taliban amid reports that authorities are giving a
nod for the establishment of an office by the insurgent group
in a Muslim country.
"India and the Russian Federation support the efforts
taken by the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan
to establish a peaceful dialogue with the armed opposition,
provided that the process goes on under the Afghan leadership
and that the fighters meet the redlines enunciated by the
international community: the recognition of the Constitution
of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, renunciation of
violence and breaking with al-Qaeda and other terrorist
organisations," the statement said.
They consider it necessary to continue the UN Security
Council sanctions regime as an essential anti-terror tool.
"The sides noted with satisfaction the growing global
understanding of the important role played by the Islamic
Republic of Afghanistan neighbouring states, states and
organisations of the region, and urge to focus the efforts in
the region on the development and improvement of sound
structures of regional cooperation, like the SCO and SAARC
They expect that the international community in their
efforts in this regard will respect the decisions taken by the
countries of the region in the framework of these
organisations," the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday