India should move UN for economic sanctions against Lanka: Jayalalithaa
Chennai: Accusing Prime Minister Manmohan Singh of "weakening" a UN resolution against Sri Lanka for its alleged human rights abuse, Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa today urged the Centre to move the world body for imposing economic sanctions on it, till minority Tamils got equal rights.
Replying to a discussion in the Assembly on the Governor`s address, she said, India had voted against Sri Lanka in the UNHCR last year on a "strong" resolution, after her repeated insistence with the Prime Minister.
"Even then the Prime Minister had weakened it (the resolution)," she said.
Recalling a resolution adopted in the Assembly in 2011, Jayalalithaa said, it had called for economic sanctions till minority Tamils were ensured equal status at par with the Sinhalese and also press the United Nations to declare those who committed alleged crimes during the decades long conflict in Sri Lanka,as "war criminals" .
Reading out excerpts from a letter she claimed was written by the PM to the Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa, she quoted the Prime Minister as having said, "...Your Excellency would be aware that we spared no effort and were successful in introducing an element of balance in the language of the resolution."
While Colombo was yet to act on this "watered down" resolution, there were reports suggesting US was moving another Sri Lanka-specific motion in the UNHCR, she said.
Apart from the US initiative, "considering the welfare of Tamils, India should bring one motion based on the unanimous resolution passed in the Tamil Nadu Assembly and implement it along with other countries," she demanded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams