India should side with Shiites in Shia-Sunni war in Iraq: Subramanian Swamy
Zee Media Bureau/Biplob Ghosal
New Delhi: As New Delhi continues to work hard to secure the release of 40 Indians kidnapped by the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) militants, BJP leader Subramanian Swamy on Thursday opined that the India should take side with the Shiite community in the ongoing Shia-Sunni war in Iraq.
Speaking to ANI, Swamy termed the ongoing crisis in Iraq as `a global Shia-Sunni war` and said that India should side with the Shiites as they have been friendly towards the Hindus.
Giving a piece of advice, Swamy said that the Indian government needs to convey to the ISIS that if it wants India to be neutral then the radical organisation should free all abducted Indians.
As the tensions soar in Iraq, Swamy further said that New Delhi should help Iraq, but should not change its friendly policy towards Israel.
The government on Wednesday said that 40 Indian nationals working for a Turkish construction company have been abducted in violence-hit Iraq`s Mosul area, which has been taken over by Sunni militants.
External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj today sought to assure the families of the kidnapped Indian nationals, saying the government was making all possible efforts to resolve the crisis.
The MEA has also set up a round-the-clock control room to provide information on Iraq. The same can be reached at 011-23014104 (telephone), 011-23018158 (fax) or through email at email@example.com.
ISIS has taken control of several Iraqi cities from the state forces and is also posing a threat to the capital Baghdad. The Iraqi government has requested the US to launch air strikes against ISIS militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what