India, Sri Lanka hold defence dialogue
New Delhi: Aiming to enhance bilateral
defence cooperation and to discuss the regional security
situation, India and Sri Lanka have held the inaugural round
of Annual Defence Dialogue here.
The two sides were on Tuesday represented by the Defence
Secretaries, officers of the armed forces and those from the
"Regional security situation including issues of maritime
security in the Indian Ocean region dominated the inaugural
Annual Defence Dialogue. Issues relating to bilateral defence
interactions also came up for discussion at the meeting,"
Defence Ministry officials said here.
Indian delegation comprising officers of the armed forces
and senior officials from the Ministry was led by Defence
Secretary Shashikant Sharma. Sri Lankan Defence Secretary
Gotabhaya Rajapaksa co-chaired the meeting alongwith with
The two officers later also called on Defence Minister AK
Antony at his office in the South Block.
India and Sri Lanka share a close defence relationship
with several exchange programmes and exercises.
While some of the officer cadets of Sri Lankan armed
forces are trained in National Defence Academy (NDA) and
Indian Military Academy (IMA), its officers also come to other
military institutions on exchange programmes.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata