India to Pak: Truce violations jeopardise peace
Jammu: India has in strong words conveyed to Pakistan its concerns over targeting of the Indian border posts by the Pakistani forces and implications of such "provocative" actions for the peace at the Line of Control (LoC).
The message was conveyed during a brigadier-level flag meeting between the two forces at Chakan Da Bagh in Kashmir`s Poonch district Saturday, officials said.
Last week, two Indian soldiers were killed in firings between the two sides, creating a very tense situation on the LoC.
The Indian Army personnel told their Pakistani counterparts that their actions were "provocative" and could jeopardise the ceasefire on the border, operative since November 2003, according to informed sources.
India also made it clear that the Indian soldiers had the right to retaliate to such "unprovoked" firing from across the LoC.
Earlier, after a series of ceasefire violations, the Pakistan Army cancelled a commandant-level (colonel-level) meeting scheduled in the sector June 16.
Army sources said the firings by the Pakistani forces were to divert the attention of the Indian troops to facilitate infiltration of militants in Jammu and Kashmir.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened