India to renew pitch for nuclear disarmament
New Delhi: India is set to renew its pitch for universal nuclear disarmament at a conference here onTuesday, an idea first thrown up by the late Rajiv Gandhi.
External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna will inaugurate the National Outreach Conference on Global Nuclear Disarmament, an initiative of the prime minister`s informal group on global disarmament chaired by Mani Shankar Aiyar of the Congress.
The conference, organised by the Indian Council of World Affairs and supported by the external affairs ministry, is being held to commemorate the 68th birth anniversary of former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi.
Gandhi presented a plan for a nuclear-weapons-free world order at the UN General Assembly on June 9, 1988.
Vice President Hamid Ansari, National Security Adviser Shivshankar Menon and former West Bengal governor Gopalkrishna Gandhi are also expected to address the conference which will rope in college students.
The talks on disarmament remain deadlocked at the UN Conference on Disarmament due to objections from Pakistan.
The report on nuclear disarmament by the informal group, presented to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh last year, has recommended a more pro-active role by India to build international consensus on reducing the salience of nuclear weapons in national security doctrines.
India, a state with nuclear weapons, has pledged to maintain a credible minimum deterrence but has championed the cause of universal nuclear disarmament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand