India will remain a steadfast partner of Mauritius: Mukherjee
Port Louis: India on Monday promised Mauritius that it will remain a steadfast partner as the two nations advocated a rule-based architecture of global governance that will be a bulwark against challenges such as terrorism.
Arriving here on a three-day visit to a red carpet welcome, President Pranab Mukherjee was hosted a banquet by Mauritius Prime Minister Navinchandra Ramgoolam in which he recalled the long-standing, historical and cultural ties between the two countries.
"Both our peoples are drawn largely from the same historical, cultural and spiritual provenance.
"Both nations have abiding faith in the ideals of democracy and secularism and both nations intuitively advocate a rule-based architecture of global governance as a bulwark against common challenges such as the threat of terrorism, tackling poverty, human rights abuse, and addressing climate change," he said speaking at the banquet.
Mukherjee will be the Chief Guest at Mauritius` national day tomorrow.
He said that the people of India appreciate the tribute paid by the people of Mauritius to Mahatma Gandhi, in selecting March 12, the day he began his iconic Dandi March, as the Independence Day of Mauritius.
Maintaining that the relationship between India and Mauritius has an unwavering vitality, the President said for several millennia, the Indian Ocean has been a key arbiter of the subcontinent`s fortunes and Mauritius is the "proverbial Star and Key of the Indian Ocean".
"You are the proverbial Star and Key of the Indian Ocean. Naturally we have a convergence of interests as the Indian ocean straddles Asia and Africa. Let me assure you that India will remain a steadfast partner of Mauritius," he said.
Mukherjee said India was grateful to Mauritius for standing by on issues of great importance to India and Mauritius has been steadfast in its support of India`s principled, moral and consistent stand on the issue of terrorism.
"We are grateful for your support for India`s rightful claim to Permanent Membership of the United Nations Security Council," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents