India will remain a steadfast partner of Mauritius: Mukherjee
Port Louis: India on Monday promised Mauritius that it will remain a steadfast partner as the two nations advocated a rule-based architecture of global governance that will be a bulwark against challenges such as terrorism.
Arriving here on a three-day visit to a red carpet welcome, President Pranab Mukherjee was hosted a banquet by Mauritius Prime Minister Navinchandra Ramgoolam in which he recalled the long-standing, historical and cultural ties between the two countries.
"Both our peoples are drawn largely from the same historical, cultural and spiritual provenance.
"Both nations have abiding faith in the ideals of democracy and secularism and both nations intuitively advocate a rule-based architecture of global governance as a bulwark against common challenges such as the threat of terrorism, tackling poverty, human rights abuse, and addressing climate change," he said speaking at the banquet.
Mukherjee will be the Chief Guest at Mauritius` national day tomorrow.
He said that the people of India appreciate the tribute paid by the people of Mauritius to Mahatma Gandhi, in selecting March 12, the day he began his iconic Dandi March, as the Independence Day of Mauritius.
Maintaining that the relationship between India and Mauritius has an unwavering vitality, the President said for several millennia, the Indian Ocean has been a key arbiter of the subcontinent`s fortunes and Mauritius is the "proverbial Star and Key of the Indian Ocean".
"You are the proverbial Star and Key of the Indian Ocean. Naturally we have a convergence of interests as the Indian ocean straddles Asia and Africa. Let me assure you that India will remain a steadfast partner of Mauritius," he said.
Mukherjee said India was grateful to Mauritius for standing by on issues of great importance to India and Mauritius has been steadfast in its support of India`s principled, moral and consistent stand on the issue of terrorism.
"We are grateful for your support for India`s rightful claim to Permanent Membership of the United Nations Security Council," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Xiaomi Redmi Pro to be launched today; Is Mi Notebook on the way too?
- Income Tax raid at AAP legislator's residence
- Bezwada Wilson, T M Krishna win Ramon Magsaysay Award
- Caribbean Premier League eyes US ahead of T20 games
- Mayawati slur row: Expelled BJP leader Dayashankar Singh spotted in Jharkhand – See pics