India will try its best to save the peace process: Khurshid
Thimpu: Notwithstanding Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh`s tough talk on Pakistan on the recent ceasefire violations on the LoC, the government on Monday said it will try its best to ensure that the peace process was not derailed.
External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid, who is here on a two-day official visit, said the assessments of what has happened can only be received from the Army which is in control on the ground.
"So ultimately, we will have to go by their assessments. But the decision about how we proceed, at what pace, in what manner etc is obviously a decision that is taken by the government," the Minister told reporters here.
Khurshid added that the government was of the view that India had made an enormous investment into the peace process and would hence not want it get "derailed".
"When you make an enormous investment in the peace process, you don`t do it just because it sounds good. You do it because there is objective and practical need for peace, because the cost of not having peace is much greater rather than the cost of investing in peace," he said.
He underlined, "Therefore, we are today still committed and trying the best that we can do to ensure that peace is not derailed, certainly not derailed beyond the extent to which we have seen it getting derailed".
His remarks came in response to questions regarding what the Army Chief had said earlier in the day.
Talking tough over the January 8 incident in Mendhar area of Jammu and Kashmir, Singh said the beheading was "unacceptable" and "most unpardonable" and the troops would respond immediately, aggressively and offensively if provoked.
He said India reserves the right to retaliate at the "time and place" of its choosing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days