Indian held at Dhaka airport, 8 kg gold seized
Dhaka: An Indian national was arrested and 65 gold bars weighing eight kilograms were seized from him at the Shahjalal International Airport.
Customs officials challenged Dipak Kumar Acharya, 60, who was moving in a suspicious manner, and recovered the gold bars from his hand bag around 10.30 pm Monday.
Alamgir Hossain, senior assistant superintendent of Armed Police Battalion, told The Daily Star Tuesday that 11,225 memory cards and 11 iphones were also recovered from him.
The seized gold is worth 3.5 crore Bangladeshi takas while the other items are worth 50 lakh Bangladeshi takas.
Acharya had come to Dhaka from Hong Kong on a Bangladesh Biman flight and was supposed to fly to Kolkata the same night, local media reports said.
Earlier too, he had been arrested at the same airport for smuggling goods, airport sources were quoted as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ Salman Khan weaves magic at BO; to register Rs 500 crore soon!