Indian-origin couple in Guyana dies in murder-suicide
Port of Spain: A young couple of Indian origin in the Caribbean nation of Guyana, who were engaged to be married, have died in what appears to be a murder-suicide, a media report said.
The bodies of 24-year-old Vijay Arjune and 19-year-old Parbattie Raghoo were found Thursday night in a car in an isolated spot in Caledonia on the east bank of the river Demerara, Kaiteur News reported.
The couple had arrived from a trip to Surinam only a day before. After staying at Parbattie`s home, they were supposed to go to Arjune`s home when the incident took place.
Police said the man had apparently strangled the woman to death before turning an unlicensed firearm towards himself.
Relatives said the couple were waiting for a religious observance in Arjune`s home following a death in his family last year. The religious observance was supposed to be over in June before they could get married.
However, Arjune reportedly had relationship and family issues ahead of his marriage.
His mother had problems with his previous relationships with other women but liked Parbattie.
"His (Arjune`s) family wanted him to get his own home and vehicle before he settled down. But Arjune was frustrated and wanted to get married because the girl was pregnant," one of Parbattie`s relatives was quoted as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?