Indian school teacher raped in Maldives
Male/New Delhi: A 24-year-old Indian computer teacher was brutally raped in Maldives and is in "very serious condition", prompting India to take up the matter with Maldivian government.
A young Indian teacher working on the island of Dhangethi in Alif Dhaal Atoll has been hospitalised after a group of people broke into her home on Sunday night and allegedly raped her, Minivan News reported.
The woman is in a "very serious condition" following the attack, Island Council President Azim Adam was quoted as saying.
India has strongly taken up the matter with the Maldivian authorities, official spokesperson in the Ministry of External Affairs in New Delhi.
He said Indian Mission`s official in Male have spoken to Maldives` acting Minister for Gender and Family Mariyam Shakeela seeking justice for the victim, a teacher at private computer school.
The Maldivians have assured India that the perpetrators of the crime will be brought to justice.
The official said two Indian officials including a woman officer from the mission met the victim at the hospital. The victim had to undergo blood transfusion.
Meanwhile, Adam said, "They broke in (to her house) around 2:15 AM. I came to know about it at 4:00 AM and I instantly reported it to the police. The girl is now in the atoll hospital in a very serious condition".
A source close to the victim said she was in the hospital`s intensive care unit but was "bleeding uncontrollably", the Minivan News said.
"We have put seven pints of blood into her but she is still bleeding. It is a very serious issue. We are planning to send her to India, there is not much more we are able to do here," the source was quoted as saying.
Island Council President Adam said the young woman had been working on the island for less than a month, and described her as a "very kind person who was very friendly towards the local islanders".
Dhangethi is the third largest populated island of Alif Dhaal Atoll, with a population of around 1200 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog