Indian, Thai Navies perform joint exercise in Andaman sea
Bangkok: Indian and Thai navies have undertaken a week-long joint exercise in the Andaman Sea to combat terrorism, piracy and arms smuggling.
The joint Coordinated Maritime Patrols (CORPAT) was represented on the Indian side by INS Bangaram of the Andaman and Nicobar Command. The Royal Thai Navy was represented by H T M S Khamrosin along with the Dornier aircraft on both sides.
Thailand`s Vice Admiral Taratorn Kajitsuwan, Commander, 3rd Naval Area Command of the Royal Thai Navy, had called on Lieutenant General Naresh Chandra Marwah, Commander-in-Chief, Andaman and Nicobar Command, to discuss cooperation between the two navies.
The week-long programme ended today.
Coordinated Patrolling between the Indian Navy and the Royal Thai Navy commenced in 2005. These patrols have enhanced mutual confidence levels between the two defence forces and have contributed to the effective implementation of the Law of the Sea to prevent illegal activities, sources said.
Besides joint maritime patrols, Thailand-India defence cooperation includes regular joint exercises, officers` training at their respective Armed Forces training institutions, exchange of visits at various levels, regular Joint Working Group Meetings and Staff Talks.
Indian envoy Anil Wadhwa also discussed enhancement of bilateral relations in all fields and expanding cooperative activities between the two armies and air forces, besides the two navies.
During Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra`s visit to India in January 2012, the two sides had signed an MoU on Defence Cooperation to further streamline and enhance bilateral defence cooperation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Experts hail Indian Army's surgical strikes on Pakistan
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says