Indian traders held in China to be deported soon
Beijing: Twelve of the 22 Indian diamond
traders, detained in China on charges of smuggling, will be
deported in about a week`s time following a Chinese court`s
"The 12 will be sent back home in about a week`s time
depending on the availability of seats on the flights,"
Indramani Pandey, head of the Indian Consulate in Guangzhou,
told PTI over phone in reply to a question.
Pandey said most of the legal formalities concerning
their release and deportation were completed and they would be
Earlier on December 7, the Shenzen Intermediate People`s
Court, which heard the traders` case, ordered their
deportation while sentencing others for varied prison terms.
Another detained Indian trader was released on bail with
orders that he should stay in China as he was wanted in
connection with the appeal petition filed by a Chinese citizen
arrested in connection with the case.
The other nine persons were sentenced to varied prison
terms ranging from six years to three and half years.
The 22 traders hailing from Gujarat were arrested in
southern China`s Shenzhen city and were charged with smuggling
diamonds worth 50 million yuan (USD 7.3 million). They were
accused of sourcing diamonds illegally from Hong Kong, for
sale in the Chinese market through their "henchmen".
The court`s verdict brought about a sigh of relief as
majority of the detained merchants were let off with
The case turned out to be politically sensitive as both
Central and Gujarat governments made repeated appeals to the
Chinese government for the early release of the detained
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP