Indian traders held in China to be deported soon
Beijing: Twelve of the 22 Indian diamond
traders, detained in China on charges of smuggling, will be
deported in about a week`s time following a Chinese court`s
"The 12 will be sent back home in about a week`s time
depending on the availability of seats on the flights,"
Indramani Pandey, head of the Indian Consulate in Guangzhou,
told PTI over phone in reply to a question.
Pandey said most of the legal formalities concerning
their release and deportation were completed and they would be
Earlier on December 7, the Shenzen Intermediate People`s
Court, which heard the traders` case, ordered their
deportation while sentencing others for varied prison terms.
Another detained Indian trader was released on bail with
orders that he should stay in China as he was wanted in
connection with the appeal petition filed by a Chinese citizen
arrested in connection with the case.
The other nine persons were sentenced to varied prison
terms ranging from six years to three and half years.
The 22 traders hailing from Gujarat were arrested in
southern China`s Shenzhen city and were charged with smuggling
diamonds worth 50 million yuan (USD 7.3 million). They were
accused of sourcing diamonds illegally from Hong Kong, for
sale in the Chinese market through their "henchmen".
The court`s verdict brought about a sigh of relief as
majority of the detained merchants were let off with
The case turned out to be politically sensitive as both
Central and Gujarat governments made repeated appeals to the
Chinese government for the early release of the detained
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof