Indira indulged in communal politics: Modi
New Delhi: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi has now trained guns on former prime minister Indira Gandhi, after targeting Manmohan Singh and Rahul Gandhi.
“Indira Gandhi had committed a big sin, I will just speak of one as she committed many of them. Known for her secular inclination, when she was contesting polls in northeast, the Congress Party mentioned in their manifesto that mentioned if they win, then they would bring in a rule synonymous to that in the Bible.”
"Can you imagine that if such is the stance while you are running the country then separatist forces would be at such a high advantage back then no one questioned her secularism," said Modi.
Modi further trained his guns on Nehru-Gandhi family by alleging that they have tried to distort history to their benefit and worked towards camouflaging the importance due to northeastern states.
"Events related to patriotism should have found more exposure and people should have been made aware of such inspirational personalities so that the young generation could draw immense motivation," he said.
"Some people laid down their lives for the country, many even spent their entire lives in jails of Andaman or were even executed. If these incidents come to light then what harm will it do to one particular family (Gandhis)? And, it is in this worry that the entire history is being deliberately distorted," he added.
Modi also criticised Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh saying he lacked both vision and gumption to run the country.
"He (Singh) lacks the vision and gumption to run the country. Before he was the country`s finance minister, for the discovery, mining and processing of uranium there used to be a set budget for its extraction. But since he became the finance minister not even a rupee has been spent from that budget. And later, after becoming Prime Minister he tried to approach America for all these things," Modi told a gathering at an event in Mumbai.
The Gujarat CM also accused the Manmohan Singh led UPA government of ignoring the Northeast.
Meanwhile, Congress today described as "unfortunate" the remarks of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi that late Prime Minister Indira Gandhi had announced during election campaign in the North East that if Congress was elected, the administration would be run as per the Bible.
"Indira Gandhi was a very respected leader of Congress party who was reverred even by her opponents. If anybody is making such remarks against her, it is very unfortunate," party spokesperson Rashid Alvi said.
Congress in-charge for Tripura Luisiano Faleiro, however, taunted Modi over the remarks asking if the Gujarat Chief Minister had ever visited the North East.
"Modi can talk about Gujarat, not the North East. Has he ever gone to North East"? Faleiro said.
With Agency inputs
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part IV
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- Trupti Desai denied entry in Haji Ali Dargah, detained by police on her way to CM's residence
- Watch: Aishwarya Rai Bachchan's Punjabi swag in 'Tung Luk' from 'Sarbjit' will win your heart
- Patna's first mall 'P&M' may shut down soon: Report
- '10% rise in China apparel prices to create 1.2 million Indian jobs'
- Sensitive people more vulnerable to online dating scams