Indo-Pak water talks put off due to tension
Islamabad: Talks between the Water Secretaries of India and Pakistan, scheduled to be held in Islamabad during January 28-29, have been put off in the wake of tensions between the neighbours over ceasefire violations along the Line of Control.
"The talks have been postponed. New dates for the talks are yet to be decided," an official of Pakistan`s Foreign Office told PTI.
The official, who did not wish to be identified, did not specify reasons for the postponement of the parleys.
The two sides were scheduled to discuss the Tulbul navigation project-Wullar Barrage issue during the talks.
Reports in sections of the Pakistani media cited sources as saying that the cancellation of the talks was linked to the recent spurt in tensions between the two countries.
However, reports from New Delhi said the move was apparently linked to the retirement of Water Resources Secretary D V Singh, who is set to step down at the end of this month.
This is the second high-level bilateral interaction that has been put off because of bad atmospherics between India and Pakistan over a string of clashes along the LoC in Jammu and Kashmir that left two Indian soldiers dead and their bodies badly mutilated.
Pakistan claimed three of its soldiers were killed in fighting described as the worst violations of the ceasefire put in place along the LoC in 2003.
Earlier this month, Pakistan Commerce Minister Makhdoom Amin Fahim called off a scheduled visit to India to attend a business meet in Agra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...