Indo-Pak water talks put off due to tension
Islamabad: Talks between the Water Secretaries of India and Pakistan, scheduled to be held in Islamabad during January 28-29, have been put off in the wake of tensions between the neighbours over ceasefire violations along the Line of Control.
"The talks have been postponed. New dates for the talks are yet to be decided," an official of Pakistan`s Foreign Office told PTI.
The official, who did not wish to be identified, did not specify reasons for the postponement of the parleys.
The two sides were scheduled to discuss the Tulbul navigation project-Wullar Barrage issue during the talks.
Reports in sections of the Pakistani media cited sources as saying that the cancellation of the talks was linked to the recent spurt in tensions between the two countries.
However, reports from New Delhi said the move was apparently linked to the retirement of Water Resources Secretary D V Singh, who is set to step down at the end of this month.
This is the second high-level bilateral interaction that has been put off because of bad atmospherics between India and Pakistan over a string of clashes along the LoC in Jammu and Kashmir that left two Indian soldiers dead and their bodies badly mutilated.
Pakistan claimed three of its soldiers were killed in fighting described as the worst violations of the ceasefire put in place along the LoC in 2003.
Earlier this month, Pakistan Commerce Minister Makhdoom Amin Fahim called off a scheduled visit to India to attend a business meet in Agra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire