Infiltration bid foiled in Kashmir; soldier, guerrilla killed
Srinagar: An army soldier and a terrorist were killed in a gun battle in Kashmir`s Kupwara district when a group of armed guerrillas attempted to sneak into Indian territory late Tuesday, an army official here said.
"A group of heavily armed terrorists was challenged by the army in the Tangdhar sector of the Line of Control (LOC) as they were trying to sneak into our side," Lieutenant Colonel J.S. Brar, spokesman of the army`s Srinagar-based 15 corps told IANS Wednesday.
"The infiltrators opened indiscriminate gunfire at the troops from automatic weapons, triggering a gunfight in which one terrorist and a soldier were killed".
"The bid was foiled as the rest of the intruders withdrew," he added.
Infiltration bids by separatist guerrillas increase during autumn in Jammu and Kashmir before mountain passes get closed owing to heavy snowfall in winter.
The pattern has been observed since the outbreak of separatist violence in the state in the early 1990s.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy