Infiltration bid foiled in Kashmir; soldier, guerrilla killed
Srinagar: An army soldier and a terrorist were killed in a gun battle in Kashmir`s Kupwara district when a group of armed guerrillas attempted to sneak into Indian territory late Tuesday, an army official here said.
"A group of heavily armed terrorists was challenged by the army in the Tangdhar sector of the Line of Control (LOC) as they were trying to sneak into our side," Lieutenant Colonel J.S. Brar, spokesman of the army`s Srinagar-based 15 corps told IANS Wednesday.
"The infiltrators opened indiscriminate gunfire at the troops from automatic weapons, triggering a gunfight in which one terrorist and a soldier were killed".
"The bid was foiled as the rest of the intruders withdrew," he added.
Infiltration bids by separatist guerrillas increase during autumn in Jammu and Kashmir before mountain passes get closed owing to heavy snowfall in winter.
The pattern has been observed since the outbreak of separatist violence in the state in the early 1990s.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed