Inter-state gang of highway robbers busted, 7 held
Batala (Punjab): Punjab police on Monday claimed to have busted an inter-state gang of highway robbers with the arrest of seven of its members, with two of the robbers managing to escape.
Acting on a tip-off, a police team arrested the robbers from Athwal village here when they were hatching a loot plan, SSP Tulsi Ram said, adding that the gang was active on state highways and their main target used to be tourists.
On seeing the police team, the gang members opened fire but the police cordoned off the area and arrested seven of them.
Two of the gang members, however, managed to escape, Ram added.
Describing the modus-operandi of the gang, Ram said the robbers, dressed up as policemen, would intercept vehicles on the pretext of checking and then loot them.
The gang was involved in around 14 robberies at various places in the state and recently, they had looted a group of devotees from Delhi when they were on their way to Vaishnodevi shrine.
A cache of arms including two 12 bore pistols, one 315 bore pistol, a country-made pistol, seven cartridges, two empty cartridges, besides a camera, gold ornaments and the vehicle used by them were recovered from the arrested robbers, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation