Inter-state gang of highway robbers busted, 7 held
Batala (Punjab): Punjab police on Monday claimed to have busted an inter-state gang of highway robbers with the arrest of seven of its members, with two of the robbers managing to escape.
Acting on a tip-off, a police team arrested the robbers from Athwal village here when they were hatching a loot plan, SSP Tulsi Ram said, adding that the gang was active on state highways and their main target used to be tourists.
On seeing the police team, the gang members opened fire but the police cordoned off the area and arrested seven of them.
Two of the gang members, however, managed to escape, Ram added.
Describing the modus-operandi of the gang, Ram said the robbers, dressed up as policemen, would intercept vehicles on the pretext of checking and then loot them.
The gang was involved in around 14 robberies at various places in the state and recently, they had looted a group of devotees from Delhi when they were on their way to Vaishnodevi shrine.
A cache of arms including two 12 bore pistols, one 315 bore pistol, a country-made pistol, seven cartridges, two empty cartridges, besides a camera, gold ornaments and the vehicle used by them were recovered from the arrested robbers, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’