Issue of Pakistan ceasefire violation more urgent than holding talks: Khurshid
Dehradun: External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid on Saturday said recurring ceasefire violations by Pakistan needed to be addressed first before New Delhi could consider the possibility of holding talks with Islamabad.
"The situation today is not such that I would be discussing the issues about talks. We have to first address the issue which is more urgent and that issue is of violations of ceasefire and we are concentrating entirely on that," he told media here today.
Khurshid further said that the Army is trying not to get provoked by the continuous ceasefire violations by Pakistan in order to diffuse the tension along the border.
"We are trying to be responsible, we are trying not to get provoked, but we are also taking all defensive measures that are necessary. The Defence Minister has already indicated to the Army what the Army`s job is under these circumstances, but what diplomatic possibilities there are, we will continue to explore," he said.
"We have called in the (Pakistan) Deputy High Commissioner and at different levels the right communication messages are going. But let us wait and see what is the impact of all this," he added.
In yet another incident of ceasefire violation, the Pakistani troops on Friday targeted Indian forward posts in the Kargil-Drass sector on Thursday. It is for the first time since the Kargil war of 1999 that the Pakistani Army has fired in this sector.
No casualties have, however, been reported so far. This is the 18th ceasefire violation in the last eleven days.
Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh, yesterday said it is imperative that for bilateral relations to improve between India and Pakistan, Islamabad must take all steps necessary to prevent its sol from being used for any anti-India activity.
Delivering his Independence Day speech from the ramparts of the historic 17th-century built Red Fort, Dr Singh said India has also strived for friendship with neighbouring countries.
"However, for relations with Pakistan to improve, it is essential that they prevent the use of their territory and territory under their control for any anti-India activity," he added.
The Prime Minister was apparently referring to the recent ceasefire violations by Pakistani troops in Poonch district of Jammu and Kashmir along the Line of Control (LoC).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?