Italy makes conditional offer to assist in probe
Kochi: Italy Thursday offered to cooperate with
Kerala police for the ballistic examination of the weapons of the two arrested marines, suspected to have shot and killed
two Indian fishermen, but said it should be in their presence.
`We will cooperate for the ballistic examination, but we
should also be present. Hope it will bring out justice`,
Italian Deputy Foreign Minister Stefan de Mistura said.
A Kollam court on February 21 had permitted police to
search the Italian ship Enrica Lexie to seize the arms
allegedly used by the two onboard naval guards to shoot and
kill two Indian fishermen.
Talking to reporters after meeting the two Marines at the
CISF Guest House at Wellington here this morning, Mistura
said the firing incident took place in international waters.
"We stick to our stand that the vessel was in
international waters when the incident took place. It was 22.5
nautical miles of Kollam coast`, he said.
The visiting Minister said he felt sad for the families of
the dead fishermen. "We expressed regret."
The marines have been arrested on the charge of killing
the two Indian fishermen on Feb 15 off Kollam coast. Italy has
been maintaining that they opened fire suspecting the
fishermen`s boat to be pirates.
Meanwhile, the two guards were today taken to Kollam for
being produced before a court at the end of their three-day
Latore Massimiliano and Salvatore Girone were taken in
separate vehicles by police to Kollam, a nearly three hours
journey from here. They have to be produced in court by 4 pm.
On the legal front, the petition filed by Italian Consul
General in Mumbai Gian Paolo Cutillo and the two accused
seeking to quash the FIR against them will come up before the
Kerala High Court today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!