Jaiswal attacks forces `furthering political agenda` at Kumbh Mela
Allahabad: In a veiled attack on Sangh Parivar activities at the ongoing Maha Kumbh congregation here, Union Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal on Friday denounced "forces furthering their political agenda" at a purely religious event.
"I have come here to take a holy dip in the Sangam and experience the bliss of attending, even if briefly, the Maha Kumbh. However, I have been pained by forces furthering their political agenda at a purely religious and spiritual event. I express my strong denunciation of such an unfortunate attempt," Jaiswal told reporters here.
His remarks came a day after a `daram sansad` (gathering of religious leaders) by VHP saw participants raising the issue of naming Modi as BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate.
The Congress leader refrained from naming the BJP, the RSS or the VHP but when pointedly asked about rumblings within the Sangh Parivar over possible projection of Narendra Modi as the prime ministerial candidate for the next general elections, he quipped "that is what I am driving at".
Asked about a resolution adopted at the Dharm Sansad held at the Kumbh yesterday demanding sacking of Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde over his "Hindu terror" remark, Jaiswal evaded a direct reply and said "the Congress-led UPA government has already made it clear that terror has no religion".
The Union Minister also questioned the propriety of "ubiquitous posters and banners, ostensibly put up to welcome pilgrims and tourists to the city for the Maha Kumbh, but in reality serving as a means of propaganda for the ruling (SP) party in Uttar Pradesh by virtue of highlighting the Chief Minister`s image where there was no need".
He also expressed strong dissatisfaction with the arrangements made by the Samajwadi Party government for the ongoing congregation.
"I shudder to imagine the traffic congestion that would be caused by thousands of buses, carrying millions of passengers for the bathing festivals of Mauni Amavasya and Basant Panchmi next week," he said, adding he had purposely travelled by road to ascertain the conditions for pilgrims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA