Jayadev Jena is Odisha PCC chief, Bhagat to head Jharkhand unit
New Delhi: Jayadev Jena and Sukhdeo Bhagat have been brought in as new PCC chiefs of Odisha and Jharkhand respectively as part of Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi`s plans to make the party battle ready for the next Lok Sabha polls.
Jena (62) was an AICC secretary and a former PCC chief of Odisha while Bhagat (48) had joined Congress party after a stint in the state administrative services and became an MLA in 2005.
Jena replaces incumbent Niranjan Patnaik and the tribal leader Bhagat takes over from Pradip Kumar Balmuchu, a Rajya Sabha MP.
Congress is out of power in Odisha for last 15 years, while it never came to power in Jharkhand since the new state was created in 2000.
Jena belongs to scheduled caste community and is considered to be a grassroot politician with clean image. Bhagat, a post graduate from Delhi University, belongs to Oraon community of the tribals.
In 2009, when there was speculation of Congress forming a government in the state in alliance, there was a demand to project Bhagat as CM candidate on the argument that the state did not have any Chief Minister from among Oraons, one of the four major tribes in Jharkhand.
Among the previous chief ministers in the state Madhu Koda belonged to Ho tribe, Babulal Marandi and Shibu Soren to Santhali and Arjun Munda to Munda tribe.
Age is on the side of Bhagat, as Congress prepares for a long haul in the tribal state. Recently appointed Himchal Pradesh PCC chief Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu, a former MLA is also 48 years old. So is the new Bihar PCC chief Ashok Chaudhary, who is also in his forties.
There has been a clear focus on appointing relatively younger faces as PCC chiefs since Rahul Gandhi became the party vice president early this year.
The new PCC heads were appointed after Gandhi`s recent interaction with party leaders from the AICC to block levels in a number of states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'