Jayadev Jena is Odisha PCC chief, Bhagat to head Jharkhand unit
New Delhi: Jayadev Jena and Sukhdeo Bhagat have been brought in as new PCC chiefs of Odisha and Jharkhand respectively as part of Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi`s plans to make the party battle ready for the next Lok Sabha polls.
Jena (62) was an AICC secretary and a former PCC chief of Odisha while Bhagat (48) had joined Congress party after a stint in the state administrative services and became an MLA in 2005.
Jena replaces incumbent Niranjan Patnaik and the tribal leader Bhagat takes over from Pradip Kumar Balmuchu, a Rajya Sabha MP.
Congress is out of power in Odisha for last 15 years, while it never came to power in Jharkhand since the new state was created in 2000.
Jena belongs to scheduled caste community and is considered to be a grassroot politician with clean image. Bhagat, a post graduate from Delhi University, belongs to Oraon community of the tribals.
In 2009, when there was speculation of Congress forming a government in the state in alliance, there was a demand to project Bhagat as CM candidate on the argument that the state did not have any Chief Minister from among Oraons, one of the four major tribes in Jharkhand.
Among the previous chief ministers in the state Madhu Koda belonged to Ho tribe, Babulal Marandi and Shibu Soren to Santhali and Arjun Munda to Munda tribe.
Age is on the side of Bhagat, as Congress prepares for a long haul in the tribal state. Recently appointed Himchal Pradesh PCC chief Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu, a former MLA is also 48 years old. So is the new Bihar PCC chief Ashok Chaudhary, who is also in his forties.
There has been a clear focus on appointing relatively younger faces as PCC chiefs since Rahul Gandhi became the party vice president early this year.
The new PCC heads were appointed after Gandhi`s recent interaction with party leaders from the AICC to block levels in a number of states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan