JD-U wants consensus on Pranab Mukherjee
Patna: With United Progressive Alliance (UPA) announcing Pranab Mukherjee as its presidential candidate, opposition parties are finding it hard to reject the Congress leader.
Speaking to Zee News, Janata Dal-United (JD-U) leader Shivanand Tiwari on Friday said that current scenario indicates that the majority is supporting Pranab Mukherjee.
“He is a very senior and a respected leader, and my personal opinion is that as he should be elected to the President’s post with consensus,” Tiwari said.
He, however, said that a decision needed to be taken at the meeting of the NDA where "we will put forward our view points". JD(U) is the second largest partner in the NDA and the party and BJP are sharing power in Bihar.
The National Democratic Alliance (NDA) had yesterday met to discuss the Presidential poll, but the BJP-led alliance had taken no final decision. While addressing a press conference, BJP leader LK Advani had said his party would announce their presidential candidate after UPA declares its name.
Yesterday, JD(U) had virtually put its foot down on the issue of NDA taking any stand on Abdul Kalam, projected as Presidential candidate by TMC, following which the opposition alliance deferred its decision.
The NDA is again expected to meet tomorrow and reach a conclusion on the presidential candidate.
Reports, meanwhile, suggest that NDA may reach a consensus on Pranab.
Finance Minister Mukherjee was yesterday chosen by the ruling UPA as its candidate for the President`s post, ending months of speculation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand