JD-U wants consensus on Pranab Mukherjee
Patna: With United Progressive Alliance (UPA) announcing Pranab Mukherjee as its presidential candidate, opposition parties are finding it hard to reject the Congress leader.
Speaking to Zee News, Janata Dal-United (JD-U) leader Shivanand Tiwari on Friday said that current scenario indicates that the majority is supporting Pranab Mukherjee.
“He is a very senior and a respected leader, and my personal opinion is that as he should be elected to the President’s post with consensus,” Tiwari said.
He, however, said that a decision needed to be taken at the meeting of the NDA where "we will put forward our view points". JD(U) is the second largest partner in the NDA and the party and BJP are sharing power in Bihar.
The National Democratic Alliance (NDA) had yesterday met to discuss the Presidential poll, but the BJP-led alliance had taken no final decision. While addressing a press conference, BJP leader LK Advani had said his party would announce their presidential candidate after UPA declares its name.
Yesterday, JD(U) had virtually put its foot down on the issue of NDA taking any stand on Abdul Kalam, projected as Presidential candidate by TMC, following which the opposition alliance deferred its decision.
The NDA is again expected to meet tomorrow and reach a conclusion on the presidential candidate.
Reports, meanwhile, suggest that NDA may reach a consensus on Pranab.
Finance Minister Mukherjee was yesterday chosen by the ruling UPA as its candidate for the President`s post, ending months of speculation.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed