Jerusalem pilgrimage from Feb-May next: TN
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Government on Wednesday said the proposed pilgrimage to Jerusalem would begin from February to May next year for which a subsidy of Rs 20,000 per person would be borne by it.
The seven to 10 day trip, would cover Bethelehem, Jerusalem, Nazareth, Jordan river, Galilee sea and other pilgrim centres of Christian importance, an official release said.
State government has earmarked Rs two crore for two years for the purpose and have appointed a committee headed by Labour Minister T M Chellapandian to oversee the successful implementation of the scheme.
The subsidy would cover 500 Christians per year and the pilgrimage would begin and end in Chennai, it said.
Stating that four of a family can undertake this trip, the release said preference would be given to those who have completed 70 years of age.
The pilgrims would be picked up district wise and based on lot system.
Fulfilling her poll promise, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had announced subsidies for people wanting to visit Hindu pilgrim sites Kailash-Manasarovar in China and Mukthinath in Nepal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!