Jerusalem pilgrimage from Feb-May next: TN
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Government on Wednesday said the proposed pilgrimage to Jerusalem would begin from February to May next year for which a subsidy of Rs 20,000 per person would be borne by it.
The seven to 10 day trip, would cover Bethelehem, Jerusalem, Nazareth, Jordan river, Galilee sea and other pilgrim centres of Christian importance, an official release said.
State government has earmarked Rs two crore for two years for the purpose and have appointed a committee headed by Labour Minister T M Chellapandian to oversee the successful implementation of the scheme.
The subsidy would cover 500 Christians per year and the pilgrimage would begin and end in Chennai, it said.
Stating that four of a family can undertake this trip, the release said preference would be given to those who have completed 70 years of age.
The pilgrims would be picked up district wise and based on lot system.
Fulfilling her poll promise, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had announced subsidies for people wanting to visit Hindu pilgrim sites Kailash-Manasarovar in China and Mukthinath in Nepal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!