Jerusalem pilgrimage from Feb-May next: TN
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Government on Wednesday said the proposed pilgrimage to Jerusalem would begin from February to May next year for which a subsidy of Rs 20,000 per person would be borne by it.
The seven to 10 day trip, would cover Bethelehem, Jerusalem, Nazareth, Jordan river, Galilee sea and other pilgrim centres of Christian importance, an official release said.
State government has earmarked Rs two crore for two years for the purpose and have appointed a committee headed by Labour Minister T M Chellapandian to oversee the successful implementation of the scheme.
The subsidy would cover 500 Christians per year and the pilgrimage would begin and end in Chennai, it said.
Stating that four of a family can undertake this trip, the release said preference would be given to those who have completed 70 years of age.
The pilgrims would be picked up district wise and based on lot system.
Fulfilling her poll promise, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had announced subsidies for people wanting to visit Hindu pilgrim sites Kailash-Manasarovar in China and Mukthinath in Nepal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed