Kapil Sibal bereaved
Chandigarh: Noted lawyer Hira Lall Sibal, father of Union Minister Kapil Sibal, on Saturday passed away after prolonged illness. He was 98.
Sibal breathed his last at the Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research Centre at around 10:30 am, hospital officials said.
He had been admitted in a critical condition a few days back as he was suffering from pneumonia and cardiac problems.
He leaves behind four sons including Virender Sibal, Jitendar Sibal (both retired IAS officers), Kanwal Sibal (former IFS officer) and Kapil Sibal (Union Minister). He also has a daughter, Asha Nanda.
Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal expressed profound grief and sorrow over the demise of the legal luminary.
In his condolence message, he described Hira Lall Sibal, recipient of the prestigious Padma Bhushan and Punjab Rattan awards, as an eminent jurist and an able administrator who had rendered distinguished service in the arena of law and jurisprudence.
Badal said Hira Lall`s death had left a void which would be difficult to fill and recalled the outstanding services of the renowned lawyer who practiced for over five decades at the Punjab and Haryana High Court and the Supreme Court.
Badal described the passing away of Sibal as a personal loss adding that he has shared warm ties with the Sibal family for many years.
- Real Estate Act, designed to protect consumer interest, comes into force from today
- What an idea! Here's why NCP workers in Maharashtra danced in 'Nagin' style - Watch video
- John Kerry to travel to Geneva on Sunday in show of support for Syria ceasefire: US
- Istanbul braces for police lockdown on May Day
- Jat leaders to hold ‘jail bharo’ movement in Haryana today, section 144 imposed in Jind