Kargil martyr Capt Kalia’s father approaches UN for justice
New Delhi: Kargil martyr Capt Kalia`s father, Dr NK Kalia, along with Rajya Sabha MP Rajeev Chandrasekhar, have approached the United Nations Human Rights Council seeking justice.
N K Kalia has alleged that his son Capt Sourabh Kalia was captured as a prisoner of war by Pakistan but was killed in a gruesome manner in violation of the Geneva Convention.
In his plea, Dr Kalia has demanded an independent probe into the death of his son. He has also asked for a probe by Pakistan into the torture and subsequent death of Capt Saurabh Kalia and five other jawans in the run up to the Kargil war in 1999.
The aggrieved father is seeking justice for his son and wants the guilty punished.
Dr Kalia had also requested the Supreme Court to direct the government to raise the issue of his son`s killing at the International Court of Justice. In response the government said it has taken up the matter at the highest level and will do "whatever is possible" in the case.
Capt Kalia of the 4 Jat Regiment and five other soldiers of his patrolling team - Sepoys Arjun Ram, Bhanwar Lal Bagaria, Bhika Ram, Moola Ram and Naresh Singh - had gone for a routine patrol of the Bajrang Post in the Kaksar sector in Ladakh when they were captured alive on May 15, 1999 and kept in captivity where they were tortured and their bodies mutilated.
They were encircled and captured by Pakistani troops. Their mutilated bodies were handed over to the Indian side later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says