Kargil Vijay Diwas: Nation pays homage to martyrs
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: As the nation marked the 14th anniversary of the Kargil war on Friday, Defence Minister A K Antony and the chiefs of the Army, Navy and Air Force paid tributes to the martyrs at Amar Jawan Jyoti here.
A candlelight tribute was also paid to martyrs on the eve of the Kargil Vijay Divas in Jammu and Kashmir`s Drass sector.
To commemorate the heroism displayed by the soldiers who laid down their lives during the Indo-Pak war in Kargil in 1999, a number of events have been planned all across the country.
Special functions will also be held at Kargil and Drass in Jammu and Kashmir, the war theatre where Indian soldiers fought bravely and laid down their lives to safeguard our motherland.
The Kargil war, which began in May 1999, lasted more than two months before Pakistan soldiers withdrew from the mountain tops they had occupied overlooking the Srinagar-Leh highway.
In the battle with Pakistani forces, the Army nearly lost 500 officers, soldiers and jawans, many of whom were posthumously felicitated with gallantry awards.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder