Katju should not act like a spokesperson of a party: JD (U)
New Delhi: With Press Council of India Chairman Justice Markandey Katju making a pitch for pardoning actor Sanjay Dutt, Janata Dal (United) on Thursday said he should not act like a spokesperson of a political party.
JD(U) secretary general KC Tyagi also said that there should not be any political interference in the legal processes.
"It would be good if Katju remains as the chief of PCI instead of becoming the spokesperson of any party. He has been giving his opinion on everything right from Bihar to Sanjay Dutt," he said.
Tyagi also wondered whether Katju will do the same for other convicts in the 1993 Mumbai blasts case.
"I don`t want to comment on his (Katju`s) intellect as he has been a judge, but had it been a Muslim instead of Sanjay Dutt, would Katju have demanded the same thing for him also. Would he do something for (convict) Yakub Menon also?" he asked.
Tyagi said that Dutt`s acting skills should be admired but his party will not in any way back his wrong deeds.
"There should not be any interference of political people in it, whether it is Katju or Amar Singh. His (Dutt`s) acting skills should be admired. He did a good job in Munna Bhai (films) but we are not going to back the wrong things he did," he said.
The JD(U) leader said that dangerous weapons were found in Dutt`s house during police investigation and his conduct has been a contrast to that of his parents who had spread the message of patriotism in the country.
"Dangerous weapons were found in his house. Instead of saying that he is the son of someone, it will be more appropriate to say that his conduct has proven to be disgraceful," Tyagi said.
"Sanjay Dutt`s parents were glorious people, who used to spread the message of patriotism across the country. But Sanjay Dutt has done just the opposite," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday