Katju takes a dig at Modi, says ‘talk of religious nationalism is anti-national’
Nagpur: Indians ought to be all Indian nationalists first and those talking about Hindu, Muslim, Sikh or Christian nationalisms were really anti-national, Press Council of India Chairman, Justice (retd) Markandey Katju said here on Friday.
He also requested the media and citizens to encourage Indian nationalism.
"I don`t agree with the remarks by Hindu nationalists as (theirs) is divisive talk and such divisive policies can`t run the nation," he said in comments apparently aimed at Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, although he mentioned no names.
He was speaking about `The Media`s Role In Promoting Secularism` at an `Excellence in Journalism` award function organised by a Marathi daily.
Media and intellectuals must fight divisive tendencies like religion, caste, region, language and race, Katju said, adding that whatever united Indians would be the path to progress.
All Indians were first class citizens of the country and there cannot be any discrimination between communities, he said.
"Muslims have been wrongly painted. Whenever a bomb blast occurs, within no time TV channels start saying that an email or an SMS from some Muslim organisation has claimed responsibility, thus demonising the entire Muslim community. Is this responsible behaviour?" he asked.
"The truth is that 99 per cent people of all communities, be it Hindu, Muslim, Sikh or Christian, are good citizens.
"But often an attempt is made to depict all Muslims as terrorists," he said.
When the Babri Masjid was demolished, a section of the
media had become "kar sewaks", instead of attacking communalism, Katju alleged.
He did not mince words in lashing out at superstitions, astrology and other blind beliefs, saying Indian people have a feudal mentality which the media should not promote.
The truth is that most Indians are still extremely backward and steeped in casteism or communalism, which is evident during elections when most people vote on the basis of caste or religion, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31